BVF
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
TonyBH

Re: BVF proposed name change Empty Re: Re: BVF proposed name change

Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:53 pm
There are a lot of excellent posts here covering most of what I was intending to say, but to add to what smc888 says, I was also largely unconcerned about this change until I read the rebuttal to John Crouch's objection. The use of Masters for the organisation and Veterans for the individual is incongruous, and can only lead to confusion. By adopting this strategy, it seems to me that the proposers of this change are rather undermining their own point - we can't use the term Master for the individual as it doesn't fit with the BAF's usage of the term, so how can it be used for the organisation?

I'm in full agreement with AM Steiner's point about why this anonymous rebuttal has been circulated. In this document the name change has been described as "essential" - it is nothing of the sort, of course.

I'm looking forward to being able to vote on this proposal - however the vote is arranged it's welcome that a change of this magnitude will this time be decided by more than 10% of the membership.

Andy M likes this post

JRM

Re: BVF proposed name change Empty Branding

Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:20 pm
I understand that branding is about clear messages.

The proposal is to have a British Masters Fencing Association of veteran fencers.

Clear and unambiguous? No.

smc888, TonyBH and Andy M like this post

smc888

Re: BVF proposed name change Empty Re: BVF proposed name change

Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:06 pm
This is a quote from the reply to John Crouch's objections; "To be a fencing master in the British Academy of Fencing requires an incredible amount of
dedication and hard work and requires the candidate to pass very exacting examinations. BVF has no intention whatsoever to devalue this qualification, which is why we are not suggesting that ‘master’ be used for individuals, but that Masters is used as an umbrella term for the organisation with the
term veteran being retained for members and for the categories.
This approach secures the best of both worlds."

I thought I understood what was being proposed and was largely unconcerned. Now I'm confused. Am I right in thinking the above paragraph means I'll be a member of British Masters Fencing, but still be referred to a a British Veteran Fencer?

TonyBH likes this post

Sponsored content

Re: BVF proposed name change Empty Re: Re: BVF proposed name change

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum